Sunday, January 10, 2010

6January2010

5th Lesson
Lecture 5
Practical 6


Blog Reflection:
Briefly reflect on lessons learned from this practical:
1. Do you think it is more effective to search the invisible web (databases) than using search engines, meta-search or subject directories? Why?
2. Will you use the invisible web (databases) for research in your own respective Diplomas? Why?
3. What have you learned from your Wiki experience during this practical?


Today I learned about Invisible Web (databases) and the web I used was Temasek Polytechnic Digital Library Portal. I used it once before. Invisible Web is referred to as the 'Deep Web' and 'Dark Matter'. Many are maintained by government agencies. It gives reliable and up-to-date information. Invisible Web requires password to access information. It is not search able by Internet Search Engine.


Reflection 1
Do you think it is more effective to search the invisible web (databases) than using search engines, meta-search or subject directories? Why?

I think it is effective to search the invisible Web but not more effective than using search engines and the rest. It is effective when you want more in-depth information about it and want diagrams and graphs to show evidence. When I search on my topic, some information given is not really relevant or not straight to the point. I find it troublesome sometimes as I still have to log in to access the information whereas other search engines do not have to. Besides that for TP Invisible Web, all information got to download before I can read the full text. Other search engines just click on the link and I can read the information easily.


Reflection 2
Will you use the invisible web (databases) for research in your own respective Diplomas? Why?

I will use the invisible web (databases) for research but not in my own respective Diplomas. For my course, it requires research sometimes or perhaps I think it is frequently but invisible web are not useful to my course. Information from invisible web are mainly research on Science or Business. It is more suitable for students who are studying those course related to Science and Business. But there is no harm using invisible web. Invisible Web provides information which I cannot get from other search engines. I think it is useful when I want more in-depth information. Some more they provide diagrams and graphs which helps me understand the facts they have.


Reflection 3
What have you learned from your Wiki experience during this practical?

I have not read what others, who are doing the same topic as me, have added in Wiki yet. I have not added in new information about my topic as well. I find that I will get to understand more about my topic when I read what others had already posted in Wiki. If I know that there are wrong information about it, I can simply edit it. If I am able to find information from the Invisible Web, I will sure add in. I feel that using Wiki we can learn from each other.

Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home